Saturday, 22 December 2012

It's a Christmas Miracle(!)

I only ever seem to blog when things are doom and gloom, but I've been feeling more like my old self over the last few days, so I though I'd write about it to remind myself that my life's not all bad.

This week didn't start well. After feeling pretty good last weekend, I woke on Monday feeling horrible. I had a rotten headache, pins and needles in my right thigh (the stabby kind, not the tingly kind) and clonic jerks in my right arm. I was also exhausted, so even the prospect of working from home filled me with dread, so I called in sick, took a couple of Syndol and went back to bed. I didn't sleep terribly well as the clonic jerking kept waking me. I felt better after having something to eat and drink, but the exhaustion wouldn't budge. I was supposed to go to a tweet-up, but that was out of the questions, so I had to cancel.

I felt the same on Tuesday (minus the headache), so I worked from home. Work has been great about my taking time off and my boss and colleagues have, for the most part, been very supportive. I had a meeting with my line manager on Wednesday morning when I returned to the office and we mainly discussed my health. I gave him a copy of the spreadsheet from my last blog to give him a better understanding of what I'm dealing with. He read it with interest, as he was unaware of some of the symptoms that come with MS. So am I much of the time, particularly when it's something I haven't had to deal with before. I told him I appreciated his support and allowing me to work from home so that I didn't have to take so many sick days. I expressed the fear that I might lose my job and he said I shouldn't worry about that, as the thought hadn't even crossed his mind. My work isn't suffering and he's happy with my overall performance, so my job is safe for now. I admit I got a bit emotional - almost tearful - but managed to rein myself in before I embarrassed both myself and him.

I had an appointment with the doctor in the afternoon. She thinks there might be more going on than MS, so she wanted me to have some blood tests done to see if I might be deficient in certain vitamins and minerals that might account for some of my symptoms. I told her I was taking a cod liver oil capsule every day, as well as glucosamine for my joints, although I'm not sure they're helping at all. We shall see if the blood tests reveal anything, although it may be some time as, to quote the doctor, "They walk to Glasgow then hitch-hike their way back to Edinburgh via the scenic route(!)" That made me laugh.

When I got home from work I thought I'd dropped my front door key somewhere, as it wasn't in my coat pocket. As I sat in the car wondering where I might have dropped it, I saw it hanging from the front door, where it had been all day. I'm very lucky not to have been burgled. That gave me a real fright. I've never done that before.

My memory aside, I have felt better, physically, over the last 4 days than I have in months. The majority of my aches have all but vanished. My foot barely hurts, my back is only complaining slightly and my hip doesn't hurt at all. My knee doesn't hurt when I extend my leg and my limbs don't weigh a ton. No hobbling, no limping - I feel somewhat like my old self. It's a Christmas miracle(!)

I haven't made any plans for Christmas. I haven't celebrated Christmas for many years, although I have been persuaded to join in with others' festivities from time-to-time. However this year I told everyone I wasn't sending out any cards, nor exchanging any gifts, and I won't be joining anyone for dinner. My best friend said I was a horror, but as far as I'm concerned it's just another day. I'm an atheist and I don't see the point in celebrating Christmas unless you're a Christian (or Yule if you're a Pagan). I also disagree with the notion of Santa and the greed and excess that is encouraged by retailers and advertisers. Christmas makes so many people feel inadequate because they can't afford a "proper" Christmas. I see people stressing and getting themselves into debt because they feel they have to live up to the media hype. It's all wrong. What should be a happy time for families and friends has been ruined by commercialism. I prefer to have no part in it. The only thing I like about it are the fairy lights and cheap chocolates. Bah, humbug!



You'll have to excuse my wee rant. I would enjoy Christmas if it was a much smaller affair, but when trees go up in August and folk talk about it for months on end, by the time it comes around it's a complete anti-climax. That's my personal feeling. But that doesn't mean I want to spoil the festivities for others. I hope everyone enjoys themselves and this coming fortnight is filled with good food, good cheer and good health. My best wishes to you all for the coming year.


No comments:

Post a Comment