As a disabled person, I am ever grateful that supermarkets deliver. If they didn't, I'd either live off takeaways or have to employ someone to do my shopping for me, as I can't even walk as far as the corner shop 250 yards from my house.
Tesco drivers are usually very helpful, but today's driver was very poor. My kitchen is tiny, so there's not enough room to bring the crates inside the house. Instead, I ask the drivers to transfer my shopping into a wee trolley I use to transport my shopping to the kitchen. I used to pack the trolley myself, before I got so wobbly, but now I leave it to the driver. It's a tried and tested system that I've been using for nearly 5 years (before the poly bag tax). Some drivers are better than others, but most are fairly good at it. Today's driver was the worst I've ever had.
He threw my ready meals into the trolley willy-nilly instead of laying them flat, so they sat at various angles. Then, he piled smaller items haphazardly on top of each other, rather than fitting them into the vacant spaces between the jumble of larger boxes, so it was a complete mess.
He said, "I'm not sure it's all going to fit." I said, "It would if you didn't keep flinging my shopping in any old how(!)", to which he cheerily replied, "I don't know which way it's going to come out of the crate." 😐 "YOU'RE THE ONE DOING THE UNPACKING!!!" I thought, but didn't say. He was oblivious to my sarcasm and withering look, and I don't have the energy to argue the way I used to, so I let it go. I miss the old me. The last thing he did was hand me two 2-litre bottles that wouldn't fit in the trolley in such a way that I dropped them both. 😒 Anyway, I had to make two trips, but I managed to get all of my shopping into the kitchen.
Now, I know it sounds like I'm moaning about nothing, but grocery day is exhausting for me. I have to stand at the door for however long it takes the driver to transfer my shopping. It might only be 5 minutes, but any longer than two minutes leaves my back aching and threatening to go into spasm, and my thighs burning like I've been on the stair climber for 20 minutes. Then I have to unpack my trolley and put my shopping away. The bending and stretching puts more stress on my back and thighs, so I usually have to do it in stages. I prioritise frozen food, then items for the fridge. Cupboard items can wait while I have a breather and regain my strength. The cupboards can also be challenging if tin rotation is required. I keep my tins, jars and packets in my bottom cupboards and I can't kneel anymore, as it feels like I'm kneeling on Lego. If I sit on the floor there's a risk I won't be able to get up on my feet again. I was once stuck on the cold tile, in winter, for 20 very long, uncomfortable minutes. I haven't risked it since. Squatting is also problematic due to the wobbly-legs-and-burning-thighs issue, so I have to bend and stretch. It's not ideal, but I manage.
I'm glad I only have to do this exercise once a week. Next week I think I'll order from ASDA.
Tesco drivers are usually very helpful, but today's driver was very poor. My kitchen is tiny, so there's not enough room to bring the crates inside the house. Instead, I ask the drivers to transfer my shopping into a wee trolley I use to transport my shopping to the kitchen. I used to pack the trolley myself, before I got so wobbly, but now I leave it to the driver. It's a tried and tested system that I've been using for nearly 5 years (before the poly bag tax). Some drivers are better than others, but most are fairly good at it. Today's driver was the worst I've ever had.
He threw my ready meals into the trolley willy-nilly instead of laying them flat, so they sat at various angles. Then, he piled smaller items haphazardly on top of each other, rather than fitting them into the vacant spaces between the jumble of larger boxes, so it was a complete mess.
He said, "I'm not sure it's all going to fit." I said, "It would if you didn't keep flinging my shopping in any old how(!)", to which he cheerily replied, "I don't know which way it's going to come out of the crate." 😐 "YOU'RE THE ONE DOING THE UNPACKING!!!" I thought, but didn't say. He was oblivious to my sarcasm and withering look, and I don't have the energy to argue the way I used to, so I let it go. I miss the old me. The last thing he did was hand me two 2-litre bottles that wouldn't fit in the trolley in such a way that I dropped them both. 😒 Anyway, I had to make two trips, but I managed to get all of my shopping into the kitchen.
Now, I know it sounds like I'm moaning about nothing, but grocery day is exhausting for me. I have to stand at the door for however long it takes the driver to transfer my shopping. It might only be 5 minutes, but any longer than two minutes leaves my back aching and threatening to go into spasm, and my thighs burning like I've been on the stair climber for 20 minutes. Then I have to unpack my trolley and put my shopping away. The bending and stretching puts more stress on my back and thighs, so I usually have to do it in stages. I prioritise frozen food, then items for the fridge. Cupboard items can wait while I have a breather and regain my strength. The cupboards can also be challenging if tin rotation is required. I keep my tins, jars and packets in my bottom cupboards and I can't kneel anymore, as it feels like I'm kneeling on Lego. If I sit on the floor there's a risk I won't be able to get up on my feet again. I was once stuck on the cold tile, in winter, for 20 very long, uncomfortable minutes. I haven't risked it since. Squatting is also problematic due to the wobbly-legs-and-burning-thighs issue, so I have to bend and stretch. It's not ideal, but I manage.
I'm glad I only have to do this exercise once a week. Next week I think I'll order from ASDA.

No comments:
Post a Comment