Saturday, 8 June 2013

Running a wee message

I woke up feeling pretty good this morning, so I decided to make the trip to the post office I'd been meaning to do for a few weeks. It's not very far, but spoonies everywhere will know what I mean when I say that getting showered and dressed can really take it out of you! It took 2 hours to get ready, including eating breakfast, but by noon I was ready to go, in time to reach the post office before it closed at 12.30pm.

I was worried the car might not start, as I haven't driven her for almost 8 weeks, but today was gorgeous, 18°C and sunny, so she started right away. The car was stiflingly hot, but it was nice driving in the sun with the windows down.

All of the disabled parking spaces closest to the shopping centre entrance were taken when I arrived, but (Sod's Law!) the three cars parked closest drove off as I made my way into the centre. Typical! After hurrying to the post office I was beetroot in the face and had to sit down to catch my breath. When I'd rallied, I went to Iceland for a couple of things and drew out some cash from the ATM. By then I was struggling to walk and leaning heavily on my stick. My back was sore, my legs were starting to shake, I was sweating profusely and breathing hard. You'd think I'd just climbed Ben Nevis!

The car was like an oven when I returned to it, even though I'd only been in the shopping centre for about 45 minutes. I enjoyed the short drive home, but I was glad to get back to the house. My whole body was trembling with exhaustion as I tried to open my front door. My hands were shaking so badly I could barely get the key in the lock. It took the last of my reserves to put my few items of shopping in the fridge before I collapsed on the couch. I'd only been out of the house for an hour.

If today is anything to go by, I don't know how I'll cope with going into the office 2 days a week. It is a bit of a worry. I've been resting (mostly) for 5 hours and I'm still shaky, sore and completely exhausted. I have no spoons left :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment